Monday, December 17, 2012

Perry Campaign Update

I had a great, although rainy Saturday, visiting four neighborhoods of District 12 collecting signatures and speaking with residents. I have acquired the necessary signatures to be on the ballot in the spring and will submit them this week to city hall for verification. My campaign manager, Adam Engelstad and I visited over 60 homes on Saturday and received a lot of feedback showing that residents here are engaged and ready for a few new faces on the Common Counsel.

As this process progresses more candidates will share their thoughts and stances on a variety of issues. With the next step in my candidacy now much closer, I find it appropriate to share some thoughts on issues on the mind of residents I spoke with Saturday.

-BID (Business Improvement District)- There are still a lot of questions surrounding the committee but the overall concept of it and preserving the goal it was set out to achieve is one I believe we should still pursue. Waukesha has a downtown that is special and has even greater potential when given the right leadership. I believe having the BID is vital in achieving that.

-Taxes & spending- I find this to be very simple. City government cannot spend money it does not have. Before city government takes any dollar out of the pockets of it's residents, the reason had better be fully vetted and in the best interest of our standard of living and public safety.

-Revamping teacher compensation- I agree with the decision to research a better way to compensate teachers. I am not in favor of having unions control the compensation for our teachers and in turn the education of our children. I look at this as a ground breaking opportunity and hope to be a part of ensuring it is done and done right.

-West Waukesha Bypass- This is a project that has been met with some mixed opinion. I am in favor of it as long as the project passes the proper environmental impact standards and details are realistically worked out for pedestrian travel. Having this bypass would not only make travel safer and easier for residents but also make Waukesha and easier place to visit.

I look forward to sharing more and meeting more residents as the weeks go on. I will update the blog once more before my wife and I and our 2 sons travel for Christmas. I appreciate you reading, encourage you to share this and value your feedback.








No comments:

Post a Comment